Nutritional Value of Kale
Author: Naufal - Friday, 08 Jan 2016
Have you ever heard of kale? Or are you already tried eating it? Well, lets get to know what kale is. It is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family, a family which includes collard greens, arugula, Brussels sprouts and broccoli. Kale is inexpensive and easy to grow, it is even considered as one of the simplest crops for local farmers to grow.
Sure, it is inexpensive and easy to grow, so what then? This is what: kale is a very healthy food. It is even healthier than spinach. It contains a lot of nutrition your body needs. Not to mention it also brings a lot of benefits. And yes, kale is one among those foods who are called superfood. What to know the nutritional value of kale? We have it below, just keep reading. We have it both the nutritional value of raw kale and cooked kale.
Nutritional value of raw kale
What nutrition does kale contain before being cooked? For each chopped kale in a cup serving or 67 g, it contains:
- Calories : 33.5(from carbohydrate 24.2, from fat, 3.9, and from protein 5.4)
- Carbohydrate: 6.7 g
- Dietary fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Vitamins: 10302 IU vitamin A, 80.4 mg vitamin C, 547 mcg vitamin K, 0.1 mg thiamin, 0.1 mg riboflavin, 0.7 mg niacin, 0.2 mg vitamin B6, 19.4 mcg folate, 0.1 mg pantothenic acid
- Minerals: 90.5 mg calcium, 1.1 mg iron, 22.8 mg magnesium, 37.5 mg phosphorus, 299 mg potassium, 28.8 mg sodium, 0.3 mg zinc, 0.2 mg copper, 0.5 mg manganese, 0.6 mcg selenium
Nutritional value of cooked kale
Next is the nutritional value of kale after being cooked, boiled and drained. For each chopped cooked kale in a cup serving or 130 g, it contains:
- Calories : 36.4(from carbohydrate 26, from fat, 4.4, and from protein 6)
- Carbohydrate: 7.3 g
- Dietary fiber: 2.6 g
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Vitamins: 17709 IU vitamin A, 53.3 mg vitamin C, 1.1 mg vitamin E, 1062 mcg vitamin K, 0.1 mg thiamin, 0.1 mg riboflavin, 0.6 mg niacin, 0.2 mg vitamin B6, 16.9 mcg folate, 0.1 mg pantothenic acid, 0.5 mg choline, 0.4 mg betaine
- Minerals: 93.6 mg calcium, 1.2 mg iron, 23.4 mg magnesium, 36.4 mg phosphorus, 296 mg potassium, 29.9 mg sodium, 0.3 mg zinc, 0.2 mg copper, 0.5 mg manganese, 1.2 mcg selenium
Benefits of consuming kale
After seeing the nutritional value of kale, both raw and cooked, what do you think now about kale? It is not so surprising if kale is considered as one of the super foods, right? Now let’s talk about the benefits you will get if you consume kale. Because kale is high in potassium, it is beneficial for your heart’s health.
One studies showed that people who consume 4069 mg of potassium every day has lower risk of ischemic heart and cardiovascular disease compared to people who consume 1793 mg of potassium. Kale also contains fiber and magnesium; both are useful for your digestion. Fiber will keep you full longer, while magnesium is important in helping maintain optimal digestion and regulating stress. Is that all? Nope. Kale is beneficial for your brain, skin and hair health, reducing the risk of diabetes and cancer.
One thing for sure, Kale has solid and rich of nutrition, vitamins and others important elements for human body. But, still you need to pay attention on how the products were preceded. Remember, no matter how good the ingredient is, if it is preceded with wrong technique and method, it is possible to contaminate the core elements. So, this is important to see who the seller, at least check the brand who package it if in case you cannot find the raw one. Don’t forget to check another product which is packaged at the same box, in order to avoid any additional threat.
Thanks for reading my blog; hopefully you can get useful information here. Don’t forget to follow and likes my official fan pages, so that you can get in touch with our best and latest article about kale or other topics.