Homemade Kale Chips
Author: Naufal - Friday, 22 Jan 2016
Kale contains a lot of nutrientsthat your body need, it is not surprising that kale is called a superfood. But can this superfood cooked into a delicious food? Of course! Kale is a versatile ingredient and you can cook it in many ways. One good idea is to turn them into chips. So, how do you turn this superfood into healthy and tasty chips? We got it here. You can check our homemade kale chips recipes here. And not only that, we will also give you some tips so your kale chips taste perfect.
Homemade Kale Chips Recipe #1
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds curly kale
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 8 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Heat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit with racks in upper and lower thirds
- Using nonstick or parchment foil, line rimmed sheet pans
- Cut the kale and remove the stems and center ribs. Go for 32 cups of leaves, use a 1 or 2 quart glass measure and pack leaves carefully. Don’t crush them
- Wash the leaves and dry it
- Place half of the kale leaves in a large bowl. Toss it with half of the oil and coat the leaves evenly. Toss with half of salt, pepper and parmesan. Once the first half is in the oven, repeat for the other half of the kale
- Spread the leaves in a single layer on the lined sheet pans and bake it until crisp or about 25 minutes. Switch positions of sheets halfway through
- Place the crisps in platters or baking sheets, leave it to cool. Reuse the foil or parchment for the successive batches
Homemade Kale Chips Recipe #2
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash the kale leaves and dry well. You can also remove the stems, if you want
- Rub or brush the leaves with olive oil. Make sure you coat it well. The more evenly the coating, the better they will bake. Just don’t drench them in the oil
- Sprinkle with salt to taste
- Bake it in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Watch it closely and remove them when they barely browning and become crispy
Note: For flavor variations, you can use garlic, ginger, chili powder or cumin
Tips on Making Homemade Kale Chips
When you want to make homemade kale chips, there are several things you need to do to make sure you got the perfect chips. Here they are:
- The first thing is to remove the stems. The part of the kale you want to make into chips is the leaves, not the stems. So, make sure you remove it. Besides, it can be a hindrance when you need to coat the leaves.
- Second thing is to wash and thoroughly dry the kale leaves. This is important. Wet kale leaves will lead to dreaded soggy chips. You don’t want dreaded soggy chips, right? So, make sure you dry it properly before coating them in oil.
- Next, is to coat the leaves in oil evenly, yet don’t drench them either. Massage them to the leaves and make sure every part, every crannies and nooks of them coated. Oil also helps in keeping the seasoning stick to the leaves.
- The fourth thing is to spread the leaves in a single layer. Don’t let them folded over, as this will lead to unevenly baked chips. Lay them flat. Don’t forget to rotate the baking sheets halfway through the baking.
- Lastly, after you take out the chips, let it cool for about 3 minutes. This will make the chips crisp even more.