Creamed Kale Recipes, Healthy but Delicious Food
Author: Naufal - Monday, 03 Oct 2016
Kale is a nutritious healthy food. It is easily grown and also inexpensive. Not only that, this super food can be cooked into delicious food too. A healthy, nutritious, inexpensive, that can be cooked into a delicious food? Now, who would not want that? If you are looking for the recipes for creamed kale, you are coming to the right place, because here we have easy to do recipes that will help you make delicious super food. The first recipe is made by Bobby Flay, while the last recipe is made by The Kitchen.
Recipe #1: Creamed Kale with Caramelized Shallots
For 4 servings. Ingredients (for the caramelized shallots):
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 peeled and sliced shallots or 40 peeled baby onions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 pounds kale, torn it into pieces and remove the center stalks
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Steps (for the caramelized shallots):
- In a medium saucepan with medium heat, melt the sugar and butter
- Add the shallots
- Season it with pepper and salt
- Cook about 10 minutes or until it turns into brown color
- In a medium saucepan with medium heat, heat the butter
- Add the onions and cook it until it becomes soft
- Whisk in the floor and cook it for about 2-3 minutes. Dont allow the mixture to change color
- Whisk in the milk and cook until it thickens
- Season the mixture with pepper, salt and nutmeg. Keep it warm
- Boil salted water in a medium pot
- Put in the kale and cook it for 10 – 15 minutes, wait until tender
- Drain it, return it to pot
- Cook and add cream sauce for 2 minutes
- Season with pepper and salt
- Put the creamed kale on a plate
- Top it with the caramelized shallots
Recipe #2: Smoky Creamed Kale
For 6 servings. Ingredients:
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 kale or 1 pound already chopped kale, ribs and stalks removed
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Ground black pepper
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water, you should use safe and strong bowl. Avoid of using plastic, glass or ceramics would be much better.
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Add the kale and simmer for 1 minute. Drain and put the kale in the ice water. Swish it around, and drain again.
- Put a 3-quart saucepan or a deep sauté pan over medium high heat. Melt the butter in it.
- Add garlic and onion, stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stir again for 3 minutes. Dont let the flour turn into brown, turn the heat if it is necessary.
- Put in the milk. Stir the mixture for about 5 minutes, wait until the sauce thickens and boils.
- Lower the heat to low, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Put in salt, paprika, mustard and black pepper.
- Add the kale and mix.
- Warm the mixture over low heat, serve
You may serve this recipe for 6 people, but if you are not ini diet program, you can eat more than one plate of course.
My important note
Creamed kale is one of the most popular food in particular country, in many aspects, kale is the winner. But, you are not allowed to cook kale without good manual book especially if you have no idea of your act. However, when you have good basic knowledge on cooking kale or something related to kale. Actually you are allowed to use and mix it with another ingredient as long as you are sure with the final result. Of, if this is your experiment, make sure you have good preparation and plan first.